JUSTIN FAVELA: ALL YOU CAN EAT
Houston Center for Contemporary Craft is pleased to present “All You Can Eat,” a solo exhibition by mixed-media artist Justin Favela.
Featuring larger-than-life piñatas depicting a visual feast of Tex-Mex cuisine, from “nachos supreme” to “chili con carne,” this site-specific installation, which is both playful and challenging, is intended to generate conversation about popular culture, the politics of food, and the Latinx experience in the U.S.
HCCC Curator Kathryn Hall explains the central ideas behind Favela’s installation: “Historically, food has been used as a powerful tool to unite people and to disarm adversaries. Through his work, Favela exposes the complex narratives found within the everyday mealsView more
INDIVIDUAL DATES & TIMES*
- Jul 17, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Wed)
- Jul 18, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Thu)
- Jul 19, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Fri)
- Jul 20, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Sat)
- Jul 21, 2019 at 12:00 pm - 05:00 pm (Sun)
- Jul 24, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Wed)
- Jul 25, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Thu)
- Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Fri)
- Jul 27, 2019 at 10:00 am - 05:00 pm (Sat)
- Jul 28, 2019 at 12:00 pm - 05:00 pm (Sun)
Additional time info:
Live Podcast Interview: Justin Favela & Chef Alex Padilla
Friday, May 31, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Justin Favela will interview Alex Padilla, Executive Chef of the Original Ninfa’s on Navigation, for his Art People Podcastseries. Their discussion will explore the history of Tex-Mex and their relationships with this beloved cuisine, as well as provide a glimpse into the day-to-day life of a chef.
Friday, May 31, 5:30 – 8:00 PM
The evening will also feature the opening of Tiff Massey: A Different World in the Front Gallery and open studios by the current resident artists. Beer will be generously provided by Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co. and delicious tacos from PAN de TACO food truck will be available for purchase.
4848 Main Street, Houston, Tx 77002