River Oaks Country Club
In 1923 Thomas H. Ball, Thomas H. Guthrie, and T. W. House, Jr., built the River Oaks Country Club in a densely wooded 375-acre tract on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou. It was located just east of a 113-acre weekend camp, Tall Timbers, owned by Mike Hogg. Ball, Guthrie, and House chartered a real estate company under the name of Country Club Estates Company and sold 990 shares of stock, or $249,750, in the Land Company. They retained a local engineer, Herbert A. Kipp, to lay out a subdivision on the 181-acre south half of the tract, installed a golf course by Donald Ross, and commissioned the Houston architect John F. Staub to design the Spanish Revival Style clubhouse. In the spring of 1924, Kipp’s subdivision plat was filed, and club members were given the option to purchase lots in a pre-development sale.