Olivewood Cemetery, in Houston, Texas, lies near a bend in White Oak Bayou, along the rail line to Chaney Junction, where the First and Sixth wards meet just northwest of downtown. The 6-acre (24,000 m2) cemetery is an historic resting place for many freed slaves and some of Houston’s earliest black residents.
In 1875, the land, which had previously been used for slave burials, was purchased by Richard Brock, Houston’s first black alderman. It opened as a cemetery for black Methodists in 1877.
1300 Court Street, Houston, TX 77007
ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE