The Washington Avenue Corridor grew from the heart of newly founded Houston.
In 1839 the State Capitol had moved to Austin and only a pioneer bridge crossed Buffalo Bayou at the intersection of Milam and Commerce Streets connecting Washington Street to HoustonÃ†s commercial center at Court and Market Squares. The gateway for West and North West travel was established. An 1844 map shows this link to the towns of Montgomery, Washington-on-the Brazos, Bastrop and Austin.
Washington Avenue, Houston, TX
ALBUQUERQUE LITTLE THEATRE